Posts Update:
Pin It

Roy Hodgson: Zaha wants to represent England

November 14, 2012


England manager Roy Hodgson believes Wilfried Zaha intends to pledge his international future to England.

Although Zaha is part of England's squad for Wednesday's friendly in Sweden, could still opt to represent Ivory Coast, his country of birth.

Asked if the 20-year-old Crystal Palace forward will play for England in the future, Hodgson told BBC Sport: "He's told me that's what he wants to do.

"He's played for England at all levels, so it seems to me fairly obvious."

Capped five times by the England Under-21 side, Zaha is only the second Championship outfield player in five years to receive a call-up to the senior squad.

However, Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba reportedly called Zaha in an attempt to convince him to choose the Elephants in the long term.

Because friendlies are classed as non-competitive games by football's world governing body Fifa, Zaha would not be committing himself to England if he appeared against Sweden.

"I spoke to him, of course, before he joined-up," said Hodgson. "I made it clear to him that we were interested in him, but only if he was interested us and he assured me that...

"If you decide you want to play for England Under-19s and Under-21s and you're very happy to accept a call-up to the national team, it seems pretty obvious to me that's where you want to play, but then perhaps I'm too simple."

-->

Hodgson denied Zaha was called up in an attempt to persuade him to pick England ahead of Ivory Coast.

"If any players prefer to play for a national team other than England they are welcome to do so," he added.

"If our national team is not strong enough motivation for them then they are not the type of player we want anyway.

"He [Zaha] has not been chosen on the basis of one short training session. He has been selected on the basis of the past couple of years. He was a target of West Brom when I was there.

"I know what qualities he brings. When the opportunity arose with a gap in the squad to bring him it was an obvious chance."

Meanwhile, Hodgson expects to get clearance from Fifa on Wednesday to allow Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson, who played under-age football for Finland, to play in the match.

Captain Steven Gerrard is set to win his 100th England cap and the Liverpool midfielder has admitted to nerves.

"I'm excited," said the 32-year-old. "I'm slightly nervous, which I haven't been for a while. I can't wait for the game to start.

"My England journey has had ups and downs a lot like any other player. I still feel I have a few chapters to write yet, I don't feel I'm at the end.

"I'm really happy with my form in an England shirt at the moment."

-->

Source: BBC

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say and leave a comment here! Thank you!

 

© Copyright Football365News 2012 | Originally designed by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Customized by Football365News | Powered by Blogger.com.