Davide Santon dismisses AC Milan link
January 09, 2013
NEWCASTLE United star Davide Santon has insisted he is focused on nothing but hauling the Magpies out of the relegation mire.
AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi told the media in Italy yesterday that Santon is a player he “likes” and, as he aims to bring in a host of young players at the San Siro in the next few years, that the Toon full-back is on his shortlist.
However, Santon, contracted on Tyneside until 2016, has dismissed any talk of a return to Serie A and wants to see out Newcastle’s ropey spell.
Santon – who arrived from Milan’s city rivals Inter in summer 2011 – told the Chronicle: “I have had a year and a half here.
“I really enjoy it. I am happy at the club but happy as a player. “This is really important for a young player.”
Santon has figured in 27 games for United this season and has been one of the mainstays in Alan Pardew’s team, despite the struggles of late.
On Saturday he will return to the scene of his first start in the Premier League when Newcastle take on Norwich City at Carrow Road.
And he admits United can learn from what has been a tough campaign of few highs.
The Italian international said: “We are a young team here and we are growing together. “That will only make us stronger in the long-term.
“The team give me confidence to play my game. If you play when you are stressed you can’t give 100%.
“But when you are settled as a group you can do well.
“I know I can do better than now though. “And when we have all of our players fit, we know we can do better as a team.”
Newcastle have kicked off 2013 with two defeats against Everton and Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup.
The Magpies must win seven games out of their last 17 matches in the Premier League or face the prospect of a second relegation in four years from the top flight.
But with players to return from injury and less daunting fixtures to come, Santon said: “Last year we were challenging.
“But we still have a good team and we have to try to finish as high as we can.”